1914 – 1918: Cobham Hall becomes a military hospital for the British Army, then for officers of the Australian army. Ivo’s Australian wife, Florence, acted as matron and was later created a Dame of the British Empire for her services.
1927: According to the Marylebone Cricket Club’s “Origin of the Ashes”, on Ivo Bligh’s death in 1927, “his widow presented the urn to the Marylebone club for safekeeping and it is in the M.C.C. Museum that the ashes urn remains”.
1939 – 1945: Cobham Hall is first a home for evacuees, then for the RAF officers from the Battle of Britain fighter squadron based at the aerodrome in nearby Gravesend.
1957: The Darnley family leave Cobham Hall
1959: The Hall is purchased by the Ministry of Works, and a programme of repairs is started.