Print Page

Physical Education

Years 7, 8 and 9

Girls in Years 7, 8 and 9 have three PE lessons each week, giving scope to deliver a variety of sports.  Hockey, netball and swimming are the three sports concentrated on during the winter months.  Girls are taught swimming by a top club level coach as well as our Head of Physical Education to assist the development of all levels.  The students learn stroke technique, and receive vital preparation for the many galas through the year.  Girls also play badminton and begin trampolining in Year 9.  Improving technique and tactics in sports including athletic events, tennis and rounders is the focus in the summer months.

Years 10 and 11 and Pre-IB

Students in Years 10 and 11 have three lessons a week and are encouraged to select a variety of physical activities from a series of options.  Netball and hockey are pursued by the majority of girls to ensure that their skill level continually improves, important for matches against other schools and the biennial sports tour.  Alongside these sports, girls also enjoy badminton, self-defence and trampolining.  Some pupils select activities which they may choose to continue when they leave school such as aerobics and using the gym.  In the Summer Term, tennis, athletics and rounders are played.  Girls in Pre-IB have two lessons a week learning similar sports and techniques as Years 10 and 11.


Throughout the GCSE PE course, students will have the opportunity to study a variety of sports as a performer as well as develop their skills in coaching, organising and officiating.  The theoretical aspects of the course are varied and engaging.  Students will develop an understanding of the physiological, psychological and social aspects of sport, all of which enhance their overall confidence in PE.  The practical section of the course contributes 60% towards the final grade with the theoretical element accounting for the remaining 40%.

Sixth Form – International Baccalaureate

Sports, Exercise and Health Science is offered at Standard Level.  The course considers the various elements of anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, psychology and nutrition in relation to sport, exercise and health.  Topical issues are studied in both a global and individual context.  The subject allows students to undertake critical analysis of human performance, informed by a scientific background.  The course includes experiments both in the field and in the laboratory.

All Years

Inter-house competitions are keenly contested in the majority of sports for all Lower and Middle School and Sixth Form girls.

Matches in the majority of sports are also played against other schools.  Competitive sports is deemed extremely important.  Students compete in a variety of sports and those who excel are encouraged to play at club level and trial at county level where possible.  Exta-curricular sport is an essential part of the Physical Education Department, with an extremely high 70% of the student body taking part in at least one sports club out of school hours.